Gerneral Admissions

Who can apply?

Underwood welcomes applications from anyone who meets our [admissions requirements]

How to apply?

Click [HERE] to go to our “How to Apply” page and get your application started.

What programs of study are offered?

Underwood offers a range of degree programs, from the Bachelor’s to the Doctoral level, in Art, Business, Christianity, and Korean Studies.

For International Students

NOTE: For the most up-to-date information regarding student visas, please visit the US Department of State Student Visa webpage [LINK: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html

This FAQ provides answers to some general questions about international student admissions. Answers to most other questions may be found in the UU Catalog or on the International Student Admissions page. Please feel free to contact Underwood University by phone or email with other questions.

Does Underwood University issue F-1 Visas?

No. All visas are issued by the US Department of State at a US Embassy or Consulate abroad. UU issues the I-20 form that is required to obtain a student visa.

What is an I-20?

An I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status [LINK: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/prepare/students-and-the-form-i-20], is a form required by the US Department of Homeland Security that allows international students to apply for an F-1 student visa. Underwood University is authorized by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to issue Form I-20 to international students. See International Student Admissions for details. Everyone that plans to study in the US must first obtain an I-20. You cannot obtain a student visa without this form.

NOTE: Underwood University does NOT issue student visas. Underwood only issues Form I-20.

F-1 students must maintain a valid I-20 by studying full-time in order to reside legally in the US after beginning an educational program.

How do I get an I-20?

Please see the International Student Admissions page for details [LINK]

How long will it take to get my I-20?

You should allow up to two weeks for delivery of the Form I-20, once it is approved.

What is an F-1 Visa?

An F-1 visa is an official US government-issued document which allows a foreign citizen to travel to the United States to study full-time for a temporary period.

What documents must I provide to receive an F-1 Visa?

For a complete listing of the items required by the US Embassy or Consulate for an F-1 Visa, please visit

the US Department of State Student Visa web page. [LINK: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html]

How much time does it take to receive an F-1 Visa?

The amount of time it takes varies from country to country. Please see the US Department of State website page Visa Appointment & Processing Wait Times [LINK: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html], or you may contact the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country for more precise information.

What if I want to change my status from visitor to student?

You will have to change your nonimmigrant status if you are already in the United States on a valid nonimmigrant visa for a purpose other than attending school (such as for tourism) and you want to study at a US school. You cannot study at a US school if you are visiting the US on a non-F-1 visa.

If you are visiting the US on a non-F-1 visa, you have two options:

  • Leave the United States and follow the same process to apply to come to the US from your home country to study.
  • Remain in the United States and submit an application with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to change your nonimmigrant status. You will also need to file a Form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status [LINK: https://www.uscis.gov/i-539]

You may file for Change of Status by yourself or with the help of an immigration attorney. For more information on this process, please see the Department of Homeland Security Study in the States page Change of Status.

Can I transfer to Underwood from another US school?

Yes. Contact the Underwood University Office of Admissions for details.

What happens if I become out of status as a student?

Underwood University can help you to switch or regain status as a nonimmigrant student. Please contact the Office of Admissions for details.

What is the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)?

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is part of the US Department of Homeland Security, and oversees the admission of nonimmigrant students to the USA. SEVP uses the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to track and monitor all nonimmigrant student visa holders in the USA. F-1 visa applicants must pay a fee to SEVIS for each program of study they wish to pursue.

Do I have to pay a SEVIS fee?

Yes. Please see the SEVIS I-901 fee page [LINK: https://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901] for complete details on who must pay and how much.

For Current Students

Can I check my grades online?

Grades for past semesters may be viewed on your Populi student account page.

Are there on-campus opportunities for students?

Underwood does not offer regular student employment; however, opportunities for such employment may arise occasionally. Please contact the International Student Advisor [EMAIL LINK: isa@underwood.edu] for information.

Can I apply for scholarships?

Underwood offers two scholarships to students based on academic performance, attendance, service, and other criteria. Please see the Scholarships page [LINK] or consult the UU Catalog [LINK] for more information. Contact the Main Office for information on applying for scholarships.

For Parents

What is it like to study at Underwood?

Underwood University provides a welcoming educational environment to its students. We maintain a close-knit community of faculty, staff, and students, and offer a top-quality, fully-accredited curriculum in several degree programs. Underwood does its best to maintain tuition at reasonable rates, in order to offer our programs to as many people as possible. If you have specific questions, please contact us and our friendly staff will be happy to help you.

Can I visit the campus?

Yes. Underwood welcomes visitors to our campuses. Please contact the Main Office to set up an appointment to visit.

NOTE: Due to the current COVID-19 health crisis, our campuses are temporarily closed to visitors.

Is it safe at Underwood University?

Underwood University is committed to the health and safety of its students, faculty, and staff. UU maintains an extensive safety policy, outlined in detail in our Catalog, available for download HERE. [LINK]
Suwanee, Georgia ranks #13 in a safewise.com ranking of the 20 Safest Cities in Georgia [LINK: https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-cities-georgia/#list], with a violent crime rate in 2019 of 1.6 per 1000 population and a property crime rate of 25.8 per 1000 population. Underwood’s campus is particularly safe, with a Suwanee Police station less than a kilometer away, a large, well-lit parking lot, secure building entrances, and CCTV cameras in the parking lot and in every classroom. There have been no violent crimes reported on campus in the history of Underwood University.
Underwood does not allow the possession of firearms or other weapons on campus, nor does it allow alcohol or other drugs on campus at any time.

Talk To Us In Your Native Language

Our staff speak languages from all over the world. We will help you in the language you are most comfortable with.